Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Selling


During a recent exhibition, in a restaurant, I sold two paintings. One was marked NFS (not for sale). This illustrates a couple of things: one, a good restaurant where people are sitting around and enjoying themselves for an hour or two is not a bad place to show and two, I needed the money more than I needed a favorite painting of my wife.

My strategy these days is to have any painting I sell digitally scanned before I hand it over. I am quite happy with this option. I'm less happy with the fact that I paid a professional photographer years ago to photograph many of my paintings (that are now sold and lost -to me) and the resulting images are of such a low quality/resolution that they are useless to print anything besides a postcard, which by the way, no one buys anymore...

He's now of course out of business thanks to digital photography.

It is not that the technology wasn't available at the time; he did one set of "four by five transparencies" for me that are excellent. But this was apparently too troublesome and, he argued "overkill" and therefore talked me down to a larger (smaller) format slide.

I saw the proprietor of the restaurant recently. She told me a customer was interested in another painting marked NFS but informed me that she had told him he was out of luck, it was a (another) painting of my wife... Is she crazy? A month of mortgage is lost to sentimentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment